In Social Studies Class, we had a guest that had came and told us about her Journey from Samoa to New Zealand. This new guest was Mrs Robertson. Here is a Personal migration story that I have been reflecting on. What I really enjoyed was that she had no one to cope with because she couldn't really understand English but she carried on and kept reaching her goal and she made it here is my reflection and please leave a comment.
1. How many years has Ms Robertson’s been in NZ ? (think about what year she arrived in NZ)
- 1962 - 2017
- She was 18 and a half years old.
- She’s been in New Zealand for 65 years now
- She’s 73 years old
2. What sort of work did she do when she first arrived in NZ ?
3. What do you remember about how Mrs Robertson was brought up by her parents ?
- Her parents were hard working
- She said that she would always get hidings from her parents because she would always talk back and in Samoa you have to respect your elders.
4. What was the main reason why Mrs Robertson was sent to NZ ?
- Her dad wanted to build a pakea house
- He was thinking of his grand childrens overseas to come back to Samoa
5, What did she do with her first Pay packet ?
- When she got her first pay packet, she went to the Post Office and sent the money to Samoa to help them with things that they really needed
- Every week, all money she earns get sent to Samoa
6.What things did she need help with when she first came to NZ ?
- Her language she couldn’t speak english much
- She had to ask a lot of Questions because she didn’t understand anything but she carried on.
- She couldn’t pronounce words properly
- She couldn’t cope well with her work mates when she came from Samoa
7. What did you enjoy or find most interesting about Mrs Robertson story ?
What I enjoyed about Mrs Robertson’s story was, her journey from Samoa to New Zealand. I was really interested in her story because when she had a job in New Zealand she was really struggling with her language because she didn’t know how to speak fully english, so she kept asking questions and carried on with her life. That message to me is important because no one can stop you from reaching that goal of yours.
8. What did you learn from listening to Mrs Robertson story ? (Is there anything about her story that made you think about your own life - that you can relate to ? any advice ...)
- I learnt that you can do anything IF you try and Nothing is impossible
- You can work hard and reach the goal that you want
- There is no one out there who can stop you from reaching the goal that you want
- She wanted her children to come back to NZ because they have learnt so much and that were well educated in NZ.