Pages

Sunday 23 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey Activity 1 Day 2 (WEEK 2)

Activity 1: Weaving a Tall Tale

There is a long history in New Zealand of collecting natural plants, including flax (harakeke), and using them to create cloaks, baskets (kete), mats, traps and ropes. Flax weaving is an art form. It can take years for people to perfect the art of weaving. Have you ever tried it?
For this activity, you are asked to watch a short video of someone weaving a fish (ika) out of flax.
On your blog, tell us whether or not you would like to try flax weaving. Does it interest you? Why or why not?
To be very honest, I would really love to try flax weaving, it really interestest me in a way. I want to try flax weaving because I've never made anything that has to do something with a plant or like a leaf....I think it will be interesting because it will be my first time ever making one, I can already imagine myself struggling while making one but as I practice more I will get there. To make these I think you need to have passion or to have that sort of energy to make one. With flax I heard that you can make anything handy such as Hats, Bags, Purses and Baskets, these will be really useful one day. 

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Rowana,

    I love your positive attitude towards learning to do new stuff! We all need to go through the initial phase of making mistakes and struggling in order to become better at something. I am thrilled to hear that you want to try flax weaving!

    I have never used flax to create an object as well so it would be super fun to learn the technique. If I could create anything out of flax, I would probably make a picnic basket or a beach dress. It would take me a long time but I think they will come in handy during summer!

    What would you like to make other than hats, bags, purses or baskets? Any ideas?

    Keep up the great work,
    Susie :)

    ReplyDelete