Pages

Sunday 23 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey Activity 2 Day 5

Activity 2: Living on the Edge

While it can get quite cold in New Zealand, it rarely drops below freezing (00C). Most of the time the temperature in New Zealand is pretty mild. This is not the case in the tundra. The tundra is an area of land (biome) that is cold, dry and completely treeless. Did you know that the average temperature in the tundra is -280C?
Over the past few years, however, the temperature in the tundra has been rising and the weather has been changing. Let’s imagine that your teacher decides to take you on a class trip to the tundra before the weather changes too much and you aren’t able to go.
On your blog, write a letter to your best friend or a family member telling them about your trip to the tundra. To earn full points your letter must have a greeting (eg. Dear…) followed by 5 – 6 sentences of information about what your experience

Dear Dad, I just came back from Tundra and I just wanted to tell you how happy I was to tick off my wishing list of going to Tundra. 

First I travelled on the plane and it was pretty exciting since it was my first time on a plane. I could barely sleep because I was just in great shock. When we arrived it was really cold we went to have a look around and everything was frozen and slippery. It was hard for me to walk because of all the ice.....But it was fun overall because it was snowing.
As I was being too excited, I just had no energy at some point. That's when I knew I was exhausted, not sleeping nor eating in the plane. It was so freezing out in Tundra, I had to put layers of gloves and scarfs for myself to keep warm. 
During my time in Tundra I got to do many things that I didn't get to do in New Zealand so it was a great opportunity....Some of the things I got to do was learning how to ski on ice, having a snowball fight, making a snowman and making snow angels. I had so much fun. 



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talofa Rowana,

    Cia here from the Summer Learning Journey Ako Hiko team. I have the opportunity today to engage with some of you people here in the Manaiakalani Cluster which is awesome.

    You have written an informative letter to your Dad about your experience at the Tundra. I like the way you used lots of specific words to help him understand just how cold you felt in the Tundra. I don't know whether I'd enjoy the snow as much as you with an average temperature of -28°C!

    Perhaps next time you could talk about the views and animals you would've come across. Do you know what kind of wildlife can be found in the Tundra?

    If I had the opportunity, I'd definitely go to experience that extreme cold, especially now that it is summer and so hot here in Auckland! Would you go to the Tundra in real life if you had the chance?

    Toe feiloa'i fo'i (see you again),

    Cia.

    ReplyDelete